Boesy Capo Problem

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sat Dec 15 05:34:10 MST 2007

At 07:31 -0800 14/12/07, you wrote:

>The outer dimension of the bolts is .268".  Can anyone suggest the
>best approach for this, tools, thread count, etc..  Machining type work is
>not exactly my area.

See <http://www.boltscience.com/pages/screw1.htm>

Last month I had to have a screw made for a Bechstein as pictured below

The diameter was about 6.75mm (0.266"), so probably the same thing.
This thread is to an old German standard.  The pitch is about 1.125mm
and the thread angle is 60 degrees (same as metric).

I spent ages trying to identify the thread with no success, and
Bechstein were no help.  I then spent another age looking for a
machine shop that could reproduce the screw and finally came across a
young machinist for whom it was no problem at all.  He did a perfect
job and asked me for $20, so I gave him $40.

If you look hard enough you will find a machinist whose brain is not
befuddled with CNC and has learned to do a simple job the proper way.

JD