botched agraffe stem removal

Matt Wynne rustraze at optonline.net
Sat Dec 15 15:04:06 MST 2007

Hi All:

I've got an S&S parlor grand where a broken agraffe at the top of the
tenor section was not removed well  as a result, there's been serious
thread damage and at this point, I think tapping for a larger agraffe
is needed.  Yamaha-style agraffes have a wide enough diameter but
taps are not readily available locally as the thread is superfine.  I
have not called Yamaha or S&S yet, as I plan to, but I was thinking
that maybe some here have run into this problem and may be able to
offer some sagely advice as to the best way to proceed.  Maybe
there's some type of helicoil kit available?

-Matt