Check out Piano Soundboard Movements

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Dec 16 04:30:21 MST 2007

At 23:37 -0500 15/12/07, Erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:

><http://vanadium.rollins.edu/~tmoore/piano_soundboard.htm>Piano
>Soundboard page
>   Hi Guys
>   A friend sent this to me interesting stuff.
>   Any body see this before. Actual sound board movement pictures of sorts

Yes. Chladni <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernst_Chladni> did all
this 200 years ago.

Look up Chladni on Google and you'll get tons of pictures.  Here's
just one movie demo:

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zkox6niJ1Wc&eurl=http://rogerbourland.com/blog/2006/05/30/chladni-patterns-video/>

The problem with using Chladni's method is that the plate
(soundboard) must be horizontal and flat (no crown), so the method
used by these people at Rollins is a lot more convenient and
flexible, allowing the patterns to be created in the fully strung
piano.

Chladni's work was most significant in the early development of the
science that began with Galileo, of which acoustics is a branch that
developed later with the work of Lord Rayleigh etc.

The most significant modern worker in this fascinating science is
Timoshenko, and much of his "History of Strength of Materials" (where
Chladni is mentioned) is online with Google Books:

<http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=c02ca_umoEIC&printsec=frontcover&dq=timoshenko&sig=DQsvyHyMPAYRME2Sl9NQB8SmcfQ>

The problem with all these University projects is that they may be
very instructive in giving students a glimpse of a known phenomenon,
but it is always but a tiny part of their curriculum and is never
taken very deep.  The science of elasticity and the history of its
development I find extraordinarily fascinating, but to get beyond the
first steps of understanding these phenomena requires the most
difficult of mathematics.

The point of these investigations, however, is to show how plates and
shells (our soundboard) behave when subjected to _forced_ vibrations
over an infinite range of frequencies, which is what happens with a
piano.  It is one thing to force a plate to vibrate by imposing a
pure sine wave vibration at a single frequency and to observe the
pretty pattern, and it is quite another thing to investigate the
behaviour of the plate when it is forced to vibrate at 10,000
different superimposed frequencies and to quantify this behaviour in
a useful way.

JD