E-mailing reminders

Martin Wisenbaker mbjwisenbaker at juno.com
Tue Dec 18 19:48:47 MST 2007

I have about a 95% or so success rate doing it like this.  If I am sure
they write it on their calendar, put on their refrigerator, at the end of
the current calendar with a view to post it later to the upcoming
calendar or in any way doing something that convinces me they are serious
about remembering it I can be sure I will see them at the appointed time
upcoming. I usually only call them the evening before to confirm unless
they specifically request that I call a week before or some other length
of time before. Sometime they call me to be sure I am remembering. Most
of the time when the appointment is not kept it is usually because of
sickness, maybe a death in the family or they have moved. Even in cases
when they do not return my confirmation call I go there anyway and they
are there and expecting me. It is only rare that I go to one that did not
return my call and they are not there. In the case of churches where I
have previously set appointments, I usually don't even call to confirm.
If the church is large enough to have a day time, weekly staff I just go
there, walk in, say "Hello" in so many words and go to work. If the
church is too small to have a working staff, I do call to make sure
someone will be meeting me there, preferably with checkbook in hand. I
had rather tune at a small church where the Pastor drives up in a Lincoln
with checkbook in hand than for a large church that has a web of
procedure to observe before I can get paid. Most of the time a
cancellation is really a postponement to a later time due to events not
known at the time the appointment was made. Sometime I am able to plug
someone else into such a slot, sometime right at the last minute or I
might just use the time to stay home and do office work since I am a
widower. The main point about making appointments in advance like this is
that I do not pressure my customers to do so. I give them the complete
option to do so or I will ask them if they had rather call me instead in
6 months or a year. Most of the time they agree to the appointment. I am
satisfied with this way of making appointments. But I would supposed any
system could have flaws of some kind. But this works for me.

Martin Wisenbaker, RPT
Houston, Texas