Grand Action Model

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sat Dec 22 20:07:06 MST 2007

At 08:18 AM 12/22/2007, you wrote:
>From: Jon Page <jonpage at comcast.net>
>To: pianotech at ptg.org
>Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 09:04:38 -0500
>Subject: Grand Action Model
>Message: 9
>
>I have a few junk actions of which I thought I would make action models
>rather than tossing them into the landfill.
>
>Is there a preferred key configuration? C-E, F-B, C-B, F-E
>
>I suppose one could do a C-B and an F-B groupings to utilize more of
>the keyboard,
>allowing a little overage on the rails rather than having them flush
>to the key sides.
>
>I have extra brackets and rails, so I could divvy it up pretty much any way.

Jon,

For purposes of instruction, any configuration would be fine - as
long as you have naturals to both sides of all sharps, and the
geometry is such that they can be regulated with more-or-less common
specifications. For purposes of demonstrating principles of action
function and regulation - the less, the better. So a 3-note action
model (2 naturals, 1 sharp) is very useful. For purposes of
practicing fluency and evenness of regulation, more notes are useful
- so perhaps a C-B or F-E configuration would be useful there, so
that all possible groupings of sharps vs. naturals are included. And
since you are more-or-less pioneering here - why not make several
different configurations (depending on how many extra brackets you
have) and see which prove most useful? I can think of a few classes
that could use a multi-note grand action model, so please let me know
when you have a few assembled.

Israel Stein