piano wire stretcher on ebay

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Dec 22 22:05:25 MST 2007

> VINTAGE PIANO WIRE STRETCHER TOOL
> <http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290191965890&ssPageName=ADME:B:EF:GB:1123>

Well, the price is reasonable, being appropriately
considerably less than $300,000. But then I happen to own
something easily as useful, better machined (downright pretty,
I'd say), and considerably cheaper, as well as being more
easily stored. That's it, down below. It's function, unlike
the vintage wire stretching tool, is immediately discernible
as both obvious and functional. The missing other half of the
mold is also obvious, as is the fact that, given the other
half of the mold, it could produce one complete plastic fork
per injection cycle, presuming it were attached to the proper
injection molding machinery. Utterly sans mystery other than
how it came to be where I found it. The wire stretcher, on the
other hand, is of considerably more dubious (less obvious)
worth. I can't tell by looking at it just what it does, how it
does it, why it should, to what benefit,  and how many of them
it takes to do what it supposedly does to enough wire to
string an actual entire piano. Then there's the wrapped
strings. Too many holes in the concept, and not enough in the
artifact.

Ron N