Source for spring stock?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Dec 24 01:32:55 MST 2007

At 18:52 -0600 23/12/07, Floyd Gadd wrote:

>...The tail of the spring is threaded through the butt, coming out
>the side, if I remember correctly, and then being secured in some
>kind of slot.
>
>The problem has been finding an appropriate set of replacement springs.

I'd suggest you take up David Boyce's kind offer.  You need, as he
said, to specify a left-handed or right-handed coil and you also have
the choice of 7/8" or 3/4".

At 21:32 -0500 23/12/07, Jon Page wrote:

>I think springs for hammer butts and wippen assist are made from Beryllium.

Beryllium Copper, you mean.  In the past, these springs were made of
brass spring wire, sometimes nickel plated, but now they are usually
of phosphor-bronze, the same stuff supplied at exorbitant prices to
harpsichord people for strings that were formerly of brass.

At 18:52 -0600 23/12/07, Floyd Gadd wrote:

>I have Schaff's spring making tool, and could make the springs if I had the
>right stock to work with.

All you need for making springs is a block of wood and some
centre-pins, nails or screws.  Here is the tool I'm using for a set
of butt springs I have to make this week.  I has a length of
dowelling underneath to turn the block.