All time Favorites

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 07:23:14 MST 2007

On Dec 24, 2007 5:07 AM, Richard Brekne <ricb at pianostemmer.no> wrote:

> Hi folks..
>
> Just curious about something...  Christmas movies !.. we all grew up
> with all kinds of em... some of them not really so much to do with
> Christmas direct but just shown about that time of year every year...
> some religious... some purely about Santa Clause or one of his friends
> or foes.
>
> In these Blu Ray / DVD times we can dig out just about any movie we want
> now and not worry about what Nickelodean has decided to show us for the
> season... So.. question is,  what are your top three Christmas movie
> musts... if any ?
>
> I watch each year
> The Wizard of Oz, Ben Hur, and White Christmas.   Then whatever else I
> get time for :)
>
> Cheers
> RicB

My all time favorite is still It's a Wonderful Life which will be on
tonight. I always enjoy National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation because it
makes fun of so many truisms of Christmas in America. I have to admit being
torn between White Christmas and Holiday Inn but then I happen to love
musicals. I also find it difficult to limit the list to three since my wife
and I watch nearly every christmas movie on. We also own a few on tape and
DVD. Last night we had the great good fortune to have a double feature on
cable TV of Christmas in Connecticut and Holiday Affair with a very young
Robert Mitchum and Janet Lee. We also enjoy the many different versions of A
Christmas Carol from the old Black and White version shot in 1932 to the
most recent made for TV ones, many of which are quite well done. Santa Claus
the Movie, although it kind of loses it's charm toward the end still has a
lot going for it through the beginning and middle to make up for it. Of
course A Christmas Story has to be in there because it's such a slice of
life out the american midwest during the '40's. Whether it was a BB gun or
somthing else you agonized over wanting but knew or were sure you wouldn't
get this movie lets everyone identify with Ralphie. I'm also a sucker for
the first 2 Home Alone movies, anytime of year but especially at Christmas.
We watched the Nativity Story the other night, a newer film made in '06 and
it was really quite beautiful, very sensitive yet serene.
So that's my "short" list I find myself moved to tears during many of these
films even though I've seen them dozens if not hundreds of times. I also
find myself laughing hysterically at many of them, they're like old friends
who come around at Christmas time when customers are complaining that you're
late or wanting you there yesterday, they help you relax and forget that for
a while.

Merry Christmas or Happy Hannukah or whatever you're celebration is!

Mike

--
People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those of us who are
doing it.
email mike at ifixpianos.com