moments of enlightenment

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 08:47:19 MST 2007

On Dec 24, 2007 8:26 AM, Annie Grieshop <annie at allthingspiano.com> wrote:

> Comprehension perks slowly through my thick skull, but it gets there
> eventually.
>
> One of the plate's tasks is to keep the pinblock and hitchpins at opposite
> ends of the piano.  It fails when the plate dis-integrates or the pinblock
> delaminates, because either allows the various pins to achieve oneness (or
> get closer than they should be) and compromises the piano, both
> structurally
> and tonally.
>
> For someone who loves cobbling things together (make it do or do without),
> it's important to understand why sometimes you just gotta push that piano
> out the window.........
>
> Thanks, as always and ever.  Your willingness to share and educate is one
> of
> my best Christmas presents (and it keeps giving all year long <g>)!
>
> Annie Grieshop

Almost there Annie, pinblock delamination in and of itself is a somewhat
normal and eventually expected thing.
It's when the pinblock seperates from the backstructure, in a vertical, or
the perimeter bolts or occasionaly the nosebolts become loose through
humidity change, cracks or a combination of both that he two ends of the
plate attempt to meet! Pinblock delaminations aren't good and shouldn't be
left but other than a few I've seen they rarely seperate in the extreme
unlike back/block seperations some of which I've seen a full inch and more!
I did not walk a way from those, I ran!!

A most graphic example can be seen in most any Kohler and Campbell vertical
built prior to 1985 that has been kept in the midwest where we have the
extremes of humidity. They used a spruce back structure with the maple
pinblock glued to it and, gosh, it seperated!!!??? Who would've thunk it?
Almost any woodshop student after the first semester but not the "piano
designers at K&C.

Merry Christmas
Mike

--
People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those of us who are
doing it.
email mike at ifixpianos.com