plates, flying and otherwise

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 24 08:33:45 MST 2007

On Dec 23, 2007 6:54 PM, Annie Grieshop <annie at allthingspiano.com> wrote:

> Here's something that's been bothering me for a few days:  has anyone on
> this group actually been in the vicinity of a plate breaking?
>
> I've heard lots of dire warnings (and they all make a great deal of
> sense!),
> but I'd like a first-hand report from someone who has witnessed
> spontaneous
> self-destruction (or the immediate aftermath).
>
> Not fire, not sledge hammers, not gravity, not chainsaws, not trebuchets
> --
> a piano that gave up the potential energy ghost on its own, of its own
> volition.
>
> It's been fun to consider what the sequence of events would be, but now
> I'd
> appreciate hearing from someone who's been there, done that.  (Tell me
> horror stories!  Scare me even more about that dratted Brambach! <g>)
>
> Thanks, as always.
>
> Annie Grieshop

Hi Annie,

I start my 39th year soon and haven't had one break while I was tuning
it(yet) I have not heard from those who have about shrapnel, just noise as
Clark said like a shotgun blast. I suppose given the forces present it is
possible but most of the plate is held down by bolts, strings, etc. and
covered by cabinet in verticals.

I tend to look for signs of trouble along the lines of what John Ross
outlined, block/back seperations, loose perimeter bolts/screws, misaligned
action or dampers. I have bolted many pianos back together and mine don't
re-open. I use 1/2" carriage bolts with large washers under the head to
disperse the tension over a wider area of wood. If a 1/2" is too large for
the job, say in a Baldwin spinet I use grade 5 or grade 8  7/16" or even
3/8" to accomplish the job. If the screws are under the strings in the bass
I use jam nuts, a nut that is half the thickness of a standard nut. It's all
about being creative to get the job done correctly. I close the gap with
3/4" pipe clamps then tighten the bolts to hold the seperation closed. I use
1/2" drive deep sockets to tighten them with a 16" breaker bar for final
tightening.
When I check perimeter bolts/screws if I find stripped ones I remove them,
singly, use old broken hammer shanks split in half that I've saved for that
purpose with a little titebond in the hole then I replace the bolt or screw.

Mike
-
People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those of us who are
doing it.
Michael Magness
Magness Piano Service
608-786-4404