Oscar Peterson

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Fri Dec 28 00:39:23 MST 2007

Ah ! Ah !

I have to say I have been very very fortunate in this regard.  Having
tuned for Molde International Jazz Festival for over 18 years, Natt Jazz
Festival in Bergen for 25 years, and more recently both Bergen
International Festival (Festspillene i Bergen) and Vossa Jazz I have run
into many of the Jazz world all time greats.

Those first years I was in awe of them all... In fact I remember being
back stage when exactly Nils Henning, Oscar Peterson and a French
guitarist stepping in for Joe Pass came in to get ready for their gig
here in Bergen. Nils took one look at my big admiring eyes and steered
himself a wide path around :)

Since then I've learned that these are all just guys and gals doing what
they like best and most want to be treated like ordinary folks.  A few
want all kinds of special treatments... and a very few are downright
jerks very full of themselves.  I've had most of them through... one of
the absolute nicest was Chick Corea was and is still. McCoy Tyner likes
to hum horribly with his playing... Oscar always liked to be treated
with lots of respect... Even got to tune for Jack DeJonette on one of
those rare occasions he toured as a pianist... and he was indeed hot !

Cool these past years comparing the classical stars and supporting
enviroments with the Jazz.  All in all I like the relaxed atmosphere of
the Jazz world, but then again I like the challenge and demanding
exactness of the classical world.

I think any of us who've had this kind of pleasure to work for these
folks has enormous amounts to be greatful for.

Cheers
RicB

    Ah! One of my favourites is "Fats" Waller's "Your Feets Too Big". I
    sometimes entertain the kids miming the words and making gestures while
    playing the CD and they find it absolutely hilarious.

    It's the genius of the likes of Oscar Peterson that probably gives us
    technicians the will to suffer in the hope that one day we will meet
    some of
    these icons in the line of duty. The closest I have got so far is
    Darius
    Brubeck, the son of Dave Brubeck. At that time I was not a tuner, but a
    sound engineer.

    Marcel Carey, you must really be proud of that photo.

    AF