Clicking Keys in Cable Nelson spinet

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 15:51:27 MST 2007

On Dec 27, 2007 8:07 AM, <KeyKat88 at aol.com> wrote:

>  Greetings,
>
>           On a used Cable Nelson spinet, the upper treble keys click. Upon
> investigation, it seems to be coming from the *rear* of the keysticks.
> I found a white powdery substance on the screws that are in the ends of the
> keys.  I think the prevoius tech sprayed teflon on them. I dislike using
> teflon, Is there any other remedy? The small rubber grommets/washers, where
> the adjusting threaded rods are, are not dried out. What to do?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Julia Gottshall
> Reading, PA
>

>  ------------------------------
> See AOL's top rated recipes<http://food.aol.com/top-rated-recipes?NCID=aoltop00030000000004>and easy
> ways to stay in shape<http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aoltop00030000000003>for winter.

I suggest once you run across a few pianos where somebody hosed the action
down with the old "liquid graphite" you'll positively fall in love with
teflon, at least you can get rid of teflon!
One thought, the white powder might be oxidation from the stcker screws,
they're only pot metal and if the humidity gets high enough they do oxidize.
Mike

--
People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those of us who are
doing it.
email mike at ifixpianos.com