Sohmer Soundboard Replacement; Was: Re-Post

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Dec 29 08:46:22 MST 2007

Hi Terry

I should certainly hope there are few folks with experience in Shower
soundboard replacement :)  As for replies... Well I threw out an
immediate reply..
http://ptg.org/pipermail/pianotech.php/2007-December/214596.html
I think the lack of response perhaps had to do a bit with the lack of a
subject line also. Plus pumping info out of the lists experience
soundboard folks is difficult at best.  Better to take direct contact
with those you know of.  Ron Overs is usually quite willing to give
sound advice, and without necessarily insisting on his own approach.
Very valuable asset.  Otherwise Terry's post below is quite agreeable.
I'd add to both his and my earlier reply that the experience is well
worth the trouble in itself... and may lead to bigger and better things !

Cheers
RicB

    Hello Lorenzo,

    Welcome to the list. Perhaps there are a couple reasons for lack of
    response to your question. First, there are only a few folks on the
    list experienced with soundboard replacement - and far fewer with
    Shower soundboard replacement. Second is that little is known about
    the original board construction and how it sounded - yes, you can
    "copy" the original board, but how much compression was put in the
    original and how did that sound?

    I am certainly biased with the results from a Del-Fandrich
    redesigned piano belly, but my recommendation is that if the piano
    is worth putting a new belly in it, then have Del redesign the belly
    or have Del Fandrich, Ron Nossaman (Ron can also do the design if he
    is installing) or myself put a new belly in it for you - or I could
    build a set of Del-designed components for you and you install it
    yourself.

    If you own the piano and are rebuilding it to sell for profit, then
    IMHO, clean it up, make it look pretty and just sell it. If the
    objective is to make the piano a fine musical instrument, then IMHO,
    at best, it would be a roll of the dice if you drop in a "original
    copy replacement"-type soundboard. If you install a Del-type rib
    crowned and supported soundboard belly assembly, the results can be
    very predictably fabulous.

    Hope this helps.

    Terry Farrell
    Farrell Piano