Mason and Hamlin A, circa 1909: What to do with loose tuning pinsinbass...

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Sun Dec 30 06:04:33 MST 2007

At 11:51 -0600 29/12/07, <mccleskey112 at bellsouth.net> wrote:

>First back the pin out enough to remove the becket from the pin hole
>using a smell screw driver and needle noses pliers. Then back the
>pin out the rest of the way. Put your new pin inside the coils of
>the string and then start it in the tuning pin hole.

That's more like it!  It's most important at all times to keep the
original bend at the becket and not to straighten it.  I loosen the
string about one whole turn, insert an awl into the becket and then
use it as a lever to prise out the becket and pull off the coils.

The new pin can then be put put through the coils and the becket
squeezed part-way in using _smooth_jawed_ pliers.  It's best to wait
till the coils have closed up under some initial tension before
squeezing the becket right home.