[Files] Home built Sound board panel press

kswafford at gmail.com kswafford at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 06:51:09 MST 2007

   Belly heads
   With ideas and help from Terry Farrell ( Thanks you Terry) I
finally got my soundboard & pinblock panel press /jig set up.  It
works quite slick. The bottom cauls are all the same height which acts
as a flat deck. The top & bottom  cauls are lined with a polycarbonate
material so the glue/wood doesn't stick to it. The end pieces are 3/4
inch brass with a 5/16 this bolt thru them..  Though still in the
prototype mode I was able to press up a very decent Steinway B panel
with some nice Sitka. (By the way I'm only doing this for my self so
please continue to get your panels from Terry Farrel)
   After the planks are glued the top cauls are put on. The bolts in
the brass end pieces apply joint pressures. Then 5 of my fire hose
clamps go over the top to press the planks downward &  flat... to the
bottom cauls.  This insures the panels turn out quite flat & afterward
with modest planing and sanding it seems as though a good rib to panel
joint will be had.

ON the other end I added press blocks around each piece of brass to
distribute the pressure.

Below show the side profile of one complete caul set up

Below is the pinblock panel press to edge glue 12 mm maple stock

Below is the rough over size panel & subsequent trimmings & planning

Dale Erwin--Piano Restorations
4721 Parker rd
Modesto, Ca. 95357
Shop 209-577-8397
Web site http://www.Erwinspiano.com
Restoration & Sales of
Steinway & Sons & other fine pianos.
" Soundboards by Design"

See AOL's top rated recipes and easy ways to stay in shape for winter.