Being called out on stage

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Dec 31 09:35:34 MST 2007

If me memory serves me right... this general thread was prompted beyond
its initial couple postings by a story about Keith Jarrett being unhappy
with a tuning during the middle of a concert and demanding the piano be
touched up.  Mr. Jarrett had, at least some years back, a reputation for
being rather difficult about instruments... many would have it
unreasonably so.  Not wishing to take any particular position on exactly
that issue... I am still curious...

For those who have experienced being called on stage for your own or
someone elses instrument at intermission or even in the middle of a
set... how often do you feel this has been an unreasonable action on the
part of the artist.  And I mean even unreasonable in the more harmless
sense like when a pianist just wants the added assurance of the piano
being gone over during the break.

Myself... it strikes me that under normal operating conditions a piano
should hold tuning plenty well enough during a whole concert. I suppose
by that I mean 95 % of the time at least.  Being on stage after the
concert starts is something I've never had to do for any of my own
work... and I've come to view it as an undesirable.  If the curtain was
down... and audience out of eye and ear range... well perhaps it might
be acceptable.... but really... it should nearly never be necessary.
Extremes of climatic conditions being about the only plausible
exception.....

What say ye ?

Cheers
RicB