relevance of bridge pin spacing

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Mon Dec 31 12:03:29 MST 2007

Hello list,
While trying to complete my bridge pin layout patterns I have taken a much closer look at the original bridge cap as well as scaling (speaking lengths specifically).
The original cap front to rear bridge pin spacing averages 18mm from note 88 to 67 and from 66 to 35 it varies from 19 to 24mm.
My questions are: Is there anything that could be intentional about this apparently random spacing? Can I change it to 16mm from note 88 to 66 and 20mm from 66 to 30 without adverse effects? If there are adverse effects, what would they be?
I have looked very closely at the scale of the plain steel wires and found that if I use the Wolfenden ratios for speaking lengths of octaves and semitones I can create an ideal scale from note 88 to 58 if I shorten the bridge pin spacing by the above amounts - it will give me the fudge room needed. Beyond note 58 to note 35 the tension is slightly low and I can raise it by about 1 to 2 pounds for every 1mm increase in speaking length and the shroter front to back bridge pin spacing will allow this change.
I have been told that I am splitting hairs.
Gene Nelson