relevance of bridge pin spacing

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Mon Dec 31 13:14:49 MST 2007

Just a thought....

More space as you go down the scale ???
Cheers
RicB

    Hello list,
    While trying to complete my bridge pin layout patterns I have taken
    a much closer look at the original bridge cap as well as scaling
    (speaking lengths specifically).
    The original cap front to rear bridge pin spacing averages 18mm from
    note 88 to 67 and from 66 to 35 it varies from 19 to 24mm.
    My questions are: Is there anything that could be intentional about
    this apparently random spacing? Can I change it to 16mm from note 88
    to 66 and 20mm from 66 to 30 without adverse effects? If there are
    adverse effects, what would they be?
    I have looked very closely at the scale of the plain steel wires and
    found that if I use the Wolfenden ratios for speaking lengths of
    octaves and semitones I can create an ideal scale from note 88 to 58
    if I shorten the bridge pin spacing by the above amounts - it will
    give me the fudge room needed. Beyond note 58 to note 35 the tension
    is slightly low and I can raise it by about 1 to 2 pounds for every
    1mm increase in speaking length and the shroter front to back bridge
    pin spacing will allow this change.
    I have been told that I am splitting hairs.
    Gene Nelson