relevance of bridge pin spacing

Gene Nelson nelsong at pbic.net
Mon Dec 31 13:59:16 MST 2007

<What's your "ideal" C-8 speaking length?

 Original for this piano was 53mm. I have looked at 54 and 52 - neither will
work out much more than the top octave. So 53 appears to be ideal for this
piano.

<For the #8 pins, I have three row spacings - 16mm, 18mm, and
 20mm. Where the back row of the higher unison interferes with
 the front row of the lower one, I'll use either the 16mm, or
 20mm to get around it. Otherwise, the rest is 18mm.

Possibly the original bridge pin spacing from notes 35 to 66 were not random
afterall. Must look at this more closely. This brings up another thought: I
also should be looking for more unison spacing fudge room because I
eliminated the original hitch pins and replaced with verticle. I came as
close to original alignment as possible but I am certain that any errors are
waiting to haunt me when I finally do the bridge pin layout. The original
bridge pin diameters of the top section were .091 (cannnot find replacements
for this size) and I will use .086 - possibly will gain some small space
advantage here as well.
Thanks
Gene