C88 length, was relevance of bridge pin spacing

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Mon Dec 31 22:27:09 MST 2007

Hi all,

The nominal C88 standard for the Hamburg D used to be 53 mm. They
appear to have reduced their C88 length to 49 mm in their latest
iterations (since at least 2000). I'm rebuilding a circa 2000 piano
at the moment - in which we're completely re-scaling the treble
sections.

Their latest Ds are heavier in the hitch plate area (which I prefer),
and the scale is fully revised to be shorter than previously, but
still does not conform to an accurate log-style scale. While overall
it looks to conform more or less to log style, there are significant
note to note variations. The breaking percentage with the new scale
is even lower than previously at note F21. So I don't suppose we can
expect to see a scaling improvement in the clones any time soon.

For all of the Overs 225 pianos we have produced to date, we have
used 53 mm for C88. This length does put the wire under considerable
stress when using smaller radius hardened bars. I've had a few more
string breakages with this speaking length than I would like, and I
suspect that this may be why S&S have taken their speaking length on
the D back to 49 mm.

Frank's post regarding spacing concurs generally with my own
practice. I have a spreadsheet which is incorporated in the overall
scale design spreadsheet, which calculates the rear pin row offset
with respect to the XY location of the front row pins. This allows us
to alter the front/rear pin spacing to ensure that there is no
intersection of the bridge pins within the bridge.

I also note that some piano 'designers' have been known to shift the
front pin row instead of the back pin row, to avoid intersection
conflicts. They should be referring to some basic piano-design 101
rules here. The disastrous effect this practice has on tunability and
stability should be more than obvious.

Happy new year,
Ron O.

--