Resurrections have been known to have taken place

alan forsyth alan at forsythalan.wanadoo.co.uk
Thu Feb 8 17:45:30 MST 2007

Yesterday I was tuning a 100 year old Bechstein where most of the single bass strings were dead. So remembering what was mentioned on the list a while back, I proceeded to lower their tension and beat the hell out of them by pounding on the keys. The trick worked; you can actually hear the point at which they come right while beating them. The strings suddenly start sounding metallic. I can only surmise that the strings are dead because they are so stiff. Pounding them seems to release the coils or windings and makes the strings more pliable.

AF