Vellum Hinges [was Velum Source - Old European Square Piano]

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Feb 16 13:41:16 MST 2007

At 5:36 pm -0800 14/2/07, Jurgen Goering wrote:

>...For the purposes we are talking about, the velum should be no
>thicker than 0.15 mm, otherwise the damper underlevers tend to float
>just a little.  I have this information from an experienced tech in
>Germany who has written an article on replacing the BlŸthner back
>action velum hinges.

I had a look today at the damper bodies of an old Kirkman from the
days before they switched to a centred flange.  Blowing up the
original picture and roughly measuring the visible slot on the
computer, it looks as if it is something less than 0.2mm, which would
include a small amount for the glue lines.  I think I have a few of
the hinges to replace, so I'll make a point of measuring the old
vellum with the micrometer when I do this.

I'll be taking a set of BlŸthner strings to a colleague tomorrow and
it's quite likely his damper action won't be perfect, so I may get a
chance to measure these too.

JD