Things customers say that I'm still not sure how to respond to.

Kent Swafford kswafford at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 13:23:47 MST 2007

On Feb 20, 2007, at 10:31 AM, David B. Stang wrote:

> Any advice about the best ways to actually respond?   ("Best", as
> in,  "Keep the customer"!)
> Thanks,
> Dave

Sure. These are simple pleasantries, not serious inquiries. Treat
them as such, with a smile; for example, when asked, "How are you?"
the correct response is "Fine. Thank you. And how are you?"

> "Can I get you anything?"

No, thanks. I'm fine.

>  "You must have good ears"

Well, you'll be the judge of that!

> "Cool computer with the spinning thing on it! What's it do?"

You know, the whole world is computerized. Piano tuners didn't want
to be left out!

> "My uncle (grandfather, neighbor, third cousin) was a piano tuner.
> He had perfect pitch."

You don't say!

> "Piano tuning is a dying art, isn't it?"

Some say so, but there are still good schools where one can learn to
do this.

> "HOW BAD WAS IT?"

Well, no matter, it's better now!

Kent