Cool checking

Jurgen Goering pianoforte at pianofortesupply.com
Tue Jan 2 11:47:17 MST 2007

Stéphane, Ric et al:
I own a 1911 Rönisch with buckskin covered tails, and I have seen a few
more.  I can't say how standard this feature was, but they obviously
did it in a good number of pianos over quite a period of time.  My
hammers were badly worn and needed replacement, but for sake of
originality and to preserve the good checking this allows  I decided to
have he hammers re-felted, and have been quite happy with the results.
I am a bit surprised that your piano seems to be cheaply made,
Stéphane.  Rönisch were known to have excellent designs and
workmanship, right up there with Förster, Feurich and others.  Perhaps
in the 1920s things were already in serious decline...

regards,
Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440