Gluing felt to moldings

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Tue Jan 2 13:13:10 MST 2007

Might be an interesting experiment Terry.  Every time this subject comes
up I have to shudder.  Sorry... cant help it.  And I dont mean to sound
the snob or anything... but gawd I am glad I dont have to work on pianos
where this kind of repair work can be deemed appropriate.  Touches a
kind of a sore point with me too as I have this sense that this whole
low end part of the market has driven the industry (over the years)
closer and closer to the brink of extinction.

Yes I know China is going to take over production of all pianos save a
very select few.... or at least thats the way things look.... But then
it also looks like its in the end a mute point.  Electronics is on the
verge of replacing the whole concept.

Different issue.... sorry to wander..... getting a bit nostalgic as I
get older perhaps... But honestly.... I truly see the world of todays
Harpsichord business looming on our collective horizon. Perhaps thats
not all bad.... but then again...

Sigh

RicB

    I have glued several sets of hammers like this. I use thick CA and
    finger clamp for several seconds - that's it, then move on to next
    hammer. My experience is that hammer tone - on pianos with hammers
    coming unglued - is preserved with this method - the re-glued
    hammers have tone consistent with hammers that had not come unglued.

    Each time I have reglued hammers has been on 40-something-year-old
    Aeolean-type spinets and consoles. If the hammer in question is on a
    two year old Bosendorfer concert grand, tone on the repaired hammer
    may be an issue, but not on an older worn piano.

    Terry Farrell