Quantifying What You Hear...

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Jan 3 01:18:03 MST 2007

Hi Matt

Thanks for your detailed and interesting reply to all of us who
responded.  As I mentioned to Stephane,  with Stephen Birkett close by
you will no doubt have a hard time veering off the objective course.

Seems like you are breaking down the kinds of concepts you'd like to
<<define>> or clarify into two groups.  The first being more mechanics
related and easier to put a finger on.  The second moving into very
difficult ground as you mention in your response to David M.  I'd be
interested in hearing an airing of terms you think it might be possible
to attempt some kind of quantification, and just a little about what
kind of quantifications you are thinking would apply.

 From your first post I got the impression you were looking at how
different soundboards themselves respond, and ways of attempting to put
at least some qualitative descriptors to these various measurable
isolated from other variables as possible.... which would become real
expensive and cumbersome real quickly.  But in another response you
mention manipulation of hammers, and other <<superficial>> (from a piano
technisk perspective) issues.  I'd be also interested in your initial
thinking about how you see these variables affecting soundboard
modes/frequencies.

Of course its too expensive for practicalities... but I'd just love to
see someday someone isolated soundboard design issues and subject them
to this kind of research.  There has been some done, mostly in relation
to rib dimensions... but only enough to whet ones whistle as it were.

You are no doubt aware of the Five Lectures available on the Swedish PTA
site.  But just in case I will post the link once more for general
interest anyways.

http://www.speech.kth.se/music/5_lectures/

Cheers
RicB