strip muting was Bridle Straps/time/Pitchraising

Lance Lafargue lafargue at bellsouth.net
Wed Jan 3 13:18:47 MST 2007

Dan's muting technique is really used primarily for the final round and saves lots of time.  The pitchraise round is straight ahead unisons as you go pulling the strip as I go.  I keep the strip near my hand, get a rhythm and have even tried putting the end in my mouth to pull and not have to move my hand, but the wool fuzz in my mouth became too much ; ).

Dan's technique is to fully strip mute (when piano is at pitch) and after tuning middle strings, you pull every other insert out, which exposes alternate unisons.  You tune those unisons, then pull the strip exposing all three strings.   I prefer to tune the first set of alternate unisons, then reinsert the strip to expose only the ones I have left to tune.  For me that eliminates the sounding of the string already tuned and if there are imperfections such as false beats, it doesn't interfere with tuning the unisons you have left most cleanly.  The whole idea is minimum hand movement and getting in a repetitive groove.  I rarely use wedge mutes except for the break areas.  Again, this strip muting is for when the piano is at pitch.  Also, for uprights, using an impact over a pull technique should be decided early, depending on the feel of the block, that decision saves you time and helps with accuracy.  Clear as mud?

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS, LTD
LPIANOS.com
lafargue at bellsouth.net