electronics replacing pianos?

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Jan 3 14:53:13 MST 2007

David, and all ports of call.

You see the thing I like so very much about you David is your delightful
way of shooting me down. What a great post you just put out there ! And
hey... like I said I hope you all are right and I prove wrong. That
because I also just love the sound of the piano we all know and care for
today.

But I am afeard that 300 years doesnt account for the speed with which
humankind can move. Heck just a mere 25 years ago the PC was launched on
our laps... and how many of you remember the first BBS's ?...  When did
you get your first cell phone ?.... and how everyday of-course-ness to
all the text messaging we send back and forth now seem... let alone the
wireless 3D video phones with no jerky motions that are just a couple
years at best away.  No no no no no.... the <<replacement>> will come
much sooner methinks.

Dont get me wrong.... I have serious wonderments about whether
synthetics will ever manage to fully emulate the acoustic world.  But
then they dont have to.  They only have to offer a sexy enough
alternative to the present day entry level upright.  Then the damage
will be done.  We need a whole lot of technicians out there to produce a
few superior techs.... same thing goes when it comes to manufacturing.
There has to be a vital, thriving, living, dynamic  base of knowledge
out there to keep the locomotive going.  The major manufacturers do not
survive by selling high end grands alone.  Without the meat and butter
of it.... they are all in trouble.

But lets forget all this for a moment... because it may not play out the
way my own premonitions point. David makes some strong and true points
as is his want.

Consider for a moment whether such a development would be a good one or
not.  Perhaps a virtual instrument so real, so versatile, and so
portable could be kinda .... cool ????

Still... 50 or 300 years... its all beyond my life time me thinks.  I'm
54 and unless they develop youth serums a few quantums faster then the
"L" piano development is going I hope to have moved onwards in the
universe well before the year 2046.

Just a thought. Btw... I hear SC won !... Cool... if you are a football
fan that is :)

Cheers
RicB

    Hold on, here, folks. With all due respect to you, Ric---my brother---
    I just can't agree with you unless you put it way, way up in some
    future none of us will be able to recognize---like 300 years from
    now. Maybe.

      There is way, way too much pleasure, thrill, and emotion in the
    acoustic experience for it to die. You cannot---and I mean, CANNOT---
    replace the total aural and body experience of being in the near-
    field sonic bubble of a fantastic piano.

    David Andersen