Bridge pins revisited /Bluthner project

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Wed Jan 3 15:19:46 MST 2007

Hi Terry

The thing was in remarkable condition.  Considering the state the
soundboard was in that kind of surprised me really.  I am replacing it
because I will be changing the scale slightly, opting for a bit longer
string lengths in the treble section. Besides... to cover my historical
fanny among other reasons .... I'm going to reassemble the old panel and
bridges, making them look all nice and pretty again and put them in a
nice display box so that anyone interested can view the original
configuration complete with original scaling details.

But gee... I sure hope the new one will hold up as well as the old one.
For aesthetics I'm leaning towards using solid beech as the original
was.  Any thoughts ?

btw... for any one interested.. the soundboard came today from Terry's
workshop in the states.  The perimeter is fitted and the longside
ribs... a bit of fitting left to do on the bent side... but heres a pic.

Cheers
RicB

    Just curious Ric - if this bridge is in such good condition, why are
    you
    making a new one? Of course, if you are rescaling, you may need to.
    But if
    not, seems to me you have an excellent bridge right now. What is your
    thinking here?

    Terry Farrell