electronics replacing pianos?

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Jan 4 09:16:43 MST 2007

At 09:43 AM 1/4/2007 -0600, you wrote:
>Replace acoustic pianos with electronic pianos?  Not a chance.  We
>purchased 13 keyboards for our piano lab 7 years ago.  One of the
>motherboards died and a replacement cannot be found.  $2000 down the
>drain.  When was the last time an acoustic piano motherboard died?  An
>acoustic upright will last for 50 years or more and costs maybe 3 times
>as much, maybe 4 times?  Do the math!
>
>And I don't care what anyone says, most students will not continue to do
>long term practice on a keyboard after playing on an acoustic piano at
>their lessons.
>Joy!
>Elwood
>
>Rev. Elwood Doss,

Electronic keyboard vs: piano is akin to live vs: recorded.

This was brought back to me last Friday when I was giving a friend a
quick tour of Philadelphia. (I hadn't done that in more than 25
years, but they hadn't moved too many buildings in the meantime.)
I've got a pretty decent stereo system at home and good recordings,
but standing by the console of the Wanamaker organ as it's being
played brought back more childhood memories than an electronic
keyboard EVER will, or ever could, fifty years from now.  Talk about
"surround sound"...

Conrad Hoffsommer

There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
-Casey Stengel