electronics replacing pianos?

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Thu Jan 4 15:43:42 MST 2007

Hi Avery.

By subventionned orchestra, I meant an orchestra whose costs are paid by the State.  Sorry for my poor unsubventionned english.  In small Belgium, the land is divided into two major subcountries : Flanders and Walloony.  Flanders is richer than Walloony.  I unfortunately happen to live in the Walloony side of the land.  To give you an example of the kind of bucks we get in here for artistic work, I had an important order from the state to compose a 40 minutes piece for a 30 person orchestra.  It took me more than one year to achieve this.  They paid me 3000 euros, which is about 4000 US dollars.  One year work.  Now you know why I tweak old pianos.
What is the correct english term for orchestra paid by state ?

Best regards

Stéphane Collin.