fresh hot hide...

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Fri Jan 5 15:23:10 MST 2007

I hate to say this, but I use a pinch of this and a dab of that..... I just
kinda eyeball it. I put some crystals in a baby-food jar and then maybe
twice as much water. Heat it up and see how thick it is. If it's too thick
for my application, I simply add some water, if too thin, then I add a few
more crystals. There really is no worry about how much water/crystals - just
mix some up and see how it looks - and then adjust as needed.

I have used some stuff in the past that I ordered from one of the supply
houses. I did have lots of trouble with that stuff. Some years ago I bought
a few pounds of "3X Chrome" hide glue crystals from Joe Garrett. These
things are absolutely idiot-proof - and to prove it, I have had complete
success with it. The crystals dissolve in just a few minutes. I highly
recommend the 3X from Joe. He also sold my some other stuff - "Joe's
Something-Or-Other" - I couldn't get that stuff to work at all - I always
just ended up with a big blob of unusable goo. But the 3X nothing short of
oooey-gooey-sticky heaven on a stick!

Terry Farrell