Just needs a little tuning!

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Mon Jan 8 04:09:58 MST 2007

At 05:22 AM 1/8/2007 -0500, you wrote:
>"Mamma said there be days like this."
>
>This morning I woke up to a terrible rain storm.  My first piano of
>the day was a new customer only 10 miles away who told me she had an
>upright piano that just needed a "tuning".
>
>I arrived to find a 1975 Henry F. Miller Spinet.  It didn't look too
>bad from the outside.  Then I opened it up.  the felt on every
>single hammer is seperating from the hammers.  I counted 24 bass
>strings broken, and 26 treble strings.
>
>I showed her what it looked like on the inside and she asked me if
>it was worth fixing.  I told her that she was the only one who could
>decide that.  I gave her a price for re-stringing, and replacing all
>the hammers and a good cleaning.  I explained to her what a
>comperable piano would cost her to purchase new and used.  I bid the
>job high enough (but fair for the amount of work that needs to be
>done) and figured that no sane person would want to put that kind of
>money into this piano.  She wants it fixed!
>
>I usually just lurk here and glean all the knowlege I can from you
>fine folks, but my new year's resolution is to participate more in
>the list.  I thought this gem of a piano was worth sharing.  I'm
>just glad all it needed was a good tuning!  I don't think I could
>stand it if it needed some serious work done!
>
>Joey
>On Key Piano
>Plains, GA

Bless you, my son, for you now know the full meaning of the
expression "can of worms".

Which hurricane(s) did that?   When the pinblock/backposts/etc.
delaminate under the restored tension of full stringing, then what?

Conrad Hoffsommer

There comes a time in every man's life and I've had plenty of them.
-Casey Stengel