Freebies

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Jan 10 01:19:20 MST 2007

On Jan 9, 2007, at 7:32 PM, Jim Johnson wrote:
> I have to agree with the idea that notes that have stayed in tune
> will continue to stay in tune.  I don't move my tuning lever to the
> next pin until I have tested it.  Why put the tuning head on a pin
> that doesn't need tuning and take a chance of moving it and
> changing the tuning on that string.  This is especially important
> on a concert piano which is tuned for each performance.  Each
> string has to be checked, but don't touch the pin until you are
> certain that it needs tuning.

Dear friends---any pin that moves just by putting your lever on it is
not stable in my world. If you are tuning highly
focused, highly used and maintained pianos daily or every other day,
and are well-experienced at this level of maintenance, then perhaps a
case could be made for leaving some pins alone. Maybe.

As a rule, and an almost universal practical application, I put my
lever on every pin, every time. Pins need to be set, and you can't
determine if that's done until you both whack the string and feel the
pin through the lever.

When serious players play, they play with intensity and force; they
will knock your unisons loose, especially in octaves 6 & 7, if you
don't settle the strings along their entire length and set the pin in
a rock-solid manner. Guaranteed.  And your reputation as one of the
trusted, performance-worthy, first-call "guys" in your area will
increase exponentially ONLY when your tunings start to achieve this
level of stability. AMHIIK.

David Andersen

"Always work toward the high end."
						Willis Snyder