Piano Store Check-in List

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Jan 10 08:56:27 MST 2007

On Jan 9, 2007, at 4:24 PM, Rex Roseman wrote:
> So, a check list is just the thing for me to make sure that I catch
> the problems as they come in. I have a start with the things that
> the sales people have been concerned with in the past and a few
> things that I regularly check, but any suggestions and sample lists
> would be greatly appreciated.

So, welcome, Rex. This is the best ongoing learning forum for pianos
in the world. Glad you found us, and glad you understand its value.
Tell us more about the types and brands of pianos you prep, and the
time frame you're working under, if any.  That will help us focus you.

"....gone from hearing “tune this piano, don’t touch anything else”
from the sales person(s) to “come in and do what you need to get the
pianos ready to sell” from the store owner..."

That's amazing; what an opportunity for you to anchor and flourish a
career. Keep coming around here, and asking sincere questions.There's
regulation lists in quite a few places; have the store get whatever
materials the manufacturer provides for their instruments regarding
preparation; tell the owner you're really interested in educating
yourself, and show him that you are---subscribe to the Piano
Technician's Journal, buy other books, start going to the PTG chapter
meeting closest to you. Live, and be, a humble student, and you can
build a skill, and a business, that will treat you like a king for
the rest of your life.

David Andersen