Grand Caster Replacement

David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Wed Jan 10 10:29:04 MST 2007

On Jan 10, 2007, at 8:41 AM, Steve Blasyak wrote:
> Not sure if you were joking but the QM has been docked in Long Beach
> for about 25 or 30 years. The piano has been in Sir Winston's
> lounge for as
> long as I can remember.

Dude! I tuned and "maintained" the pianos on the Queen Mary from 1984
to 1987. That piano (the custom-looking "C") was thrashed then.

Mike Farnell (Pacific Piano Supply) and I restrung a bunch of those
pianos onsite back then...how many pianos, and what kind, are still
in use on the old girl?

Memories, memories (sung to the tune of the same name)---that was
like a different life:  I was living in Long Beach, and Sherman Clay
was the 800-pound gorilla in town, selling Steinways, Sohmers, Young
Chang, some Kawai, some Korean pianos, in stores all over greater LA
and all over the western United States; I prepared pianos in I think
4 stores at that time; they were by far my largest client during
those years ('83-'87).

I would spend 2 and sometimes 3 days a week in a warehouse in a vast
gray industrial/oil processing plant sector of Carson, California,
about 10 miles north of Long Beach, preparing new Steinways and
supervising 2 or 3 other techs in preparing new Daewoo (Sojin) or
Hanil pianos from Korea---massive warranty issues---and working 10-12
hours a day, 6 days a week, scrambling to support a young family and
a beautiful woman with expensive tastes.

And I still had dark hair. <g>

David Andersen