lead wire/downweight, etc.

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Wed Jan 10 16:07:55 MST 2007

Thanks to all who responded to my post.  I particularly like the idea of the clips from the two Daves and Mark.  And thanks to Dave D., Terry, and Ric for the suggestion that I familiarize myself thoroughly with Stanwood's methodology.

Before I do anything, though, I want to understand exactly what it is the teacher feeling and responding to.  Unfortunately, the teacher won't be able to be present today when I go check the piano.  I will check regulation, friction, etc. to make sure all is in order.

 >>Are you familiar with Stanwood principles? A situation like this is where that stuff really shines.<< Terry F

Not as much as I should be.  A field trip in March might be in order, though I understand the Stanwood class offered at the home office is for RPTs only, and I still haven't been able to schedule my tuning test....:-(

>>If this turns out to be your job... and the teacher insists on having his nose right in the middle of it... then sit down with the guy and attempt to figure out what the firmness thing is all about. Is it weight ? Is it keys that have been overly eased ? Is it a sensation of the keys bottoming out too soon... power issue ?... I like to put the have the customer sitting close by and do all this very diplomatically. Any unreasonablness from a teacher is always easy to expose. But then you have to know your P's and Q's pretty good. If not... then the authority figure a teacher of reputation has will eat you alive :) << Ric B

Ric, your last sentence hit the nail on the head.  In many, or even most cases, the teacher's opinion is taken as fact, even over empirical evidence to the contrary.  That's why I e-mailed y'all for as many suggestions and options as possible.

 Dave Stahl

Dave Stahl Piano Service
650-224-3560
dstahlpiano at sbcglobal.net