electronics replacing pianos

pbmosley mosley at classicnet.net
Sat Jan 13 07:05:47 MST 2007

I confess, I have no idea what a clavinova costs.  The point is the same.  My guess is that a lot of consumers would pay more for technology.  Schools know the costs, they have done it for years.  The 30 year old piano is sitting there and the school is on their 4th keyboard in 15 years.  They spent a lot on replacement to save tuning costs.  People buy it because they want it.  The schools mission statement mentions the teaching of technology, some pricipals have asked music teachers to use their keyboards as part of the technology education.  We buy stuff everyday that has no value the next and know that we have to upgrade.  The larger point of the Yamaha ad is that I was astonished that they really left no room for the acoustic piano.
Phil Mosley

A complete new Yamaha grand action plus fancy keyboard for $2K? Seems hard to imagine...