ergonomics

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 13 09:39:41 MST 2007

Bruce

  I am constantly buying new flashlight thingees, and I've found some that work well in varying situations.  My number one light is a Petzl Zipka.  It's an LED light that's on a headband, so I wear it on my head, keeping both hands free.  This works great for general lighting in a dim area, such as inside a grand.  Unfortunately for me, I'm an old fart, which means that I need bifocals.  To focus on anything up close, I need to look down, and the Petzl Zipka shines straight ahead, so it's not great for up close work (for me, anyway).

So I have another LED flashlight that is on a little Velcro band that fits around my finger.  This can be put on the hand that holds the screwdriver/regulating tool and it will point exactly at the thing you're screwing in, or out, or whatever.  I love this one.

  I have another LED flashlight that has a magnetic base and a flexible neck so I can aim it wherever.  I have another one that clips on to things.

  Keep your eyes open at the cash register at Walgreen's or Ace Hardware.  They often have new and useful items such as these, and none of them cost much.  And yes, I carry all of these around with me in my tool bag, ready for whatever situation might arise.

  Tom Sivak
Chicago

Barbara Richmond <piano57 at insightbb.com> wrote:
          Hi Bruce,

  Whatever you consider portable, is.  I have a number of different lighting options, depending on the job I'm going to do and what the lighting is like where I'll be working--I don't mind sharing my lights with the rest of the household.  As far as a stool for grand damper work, or leveling keys, or whatever, I use an old one that came from my grandmother that's just the right height for me.  Is it portable?  Well, I haul it with me, so I guess it is and, no, it doesn't fold.  I think some folks sit on strong tool cases, etc.  When I get to the job--especially institutional gigs where I have to walk a distance--I have a large luggage cart that I've learned to load very creatively, so a lot more stuff is portable.  :-)

  Barbara Richmond, RPT