electronics replacing pianos

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Jan 13 14:39:37 MST 2007

Well... they do a pretty fair job I'll admit... but most of the critics
statements still hold true about the thing in my book.  Like you say..
side by side in an acoustic environment its easy to tell the difference
still.  But they are good... and they will get better and better...  A
quick search showed around 5000 USD for the most expensive one I could
find on the net.

btw... David Porritt I do agree its farther off then I will live.... but
whether or not the buying public will start dissagreeing with us in
large enough numbers to have the kind of impact I am afeared of is a
different matter.

Cheers
RicB

    The top of the line Yamaha Clavinova already achieves all of this. Their
    sampling and reproducing technology is simply amazing. It also has
    built in
    microphones that capture the sound of the surrounding environment and
    generates appropriate sympathetic strings sounds in response. Just
    like a
    real piano. Sitting side by side with a real piano you would still
    be able
    to easily tell the difference, and I think that will continue to be the
    major hurdle, but the lines are definitely blurring.

    -- Geoff Sykes
    -- Assoc. Los Angeles