false beats, real jazz and satisfaction

Karl kaputt karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 13 17:39:35 MST 2007

>From: "Farrell" <mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com>
>The soft pedal of most uprights is the one that pushes the hammer rail
>forward. I suspect the "moderator rail" is the mute rail - usually the
>middle pedal on verticals equipped with that feature (if one can call it
>that - I have several four-letter-word descriptions for those #%&$s).
>
>Terry Farrell

Correct. The moderator is the "mute rail" (middle pedal in uprights). The
soft pedal is the left pedal which makes nothing except pushing the hammer
rail forward, which is definitlely not audible. Many customers ask me: the
left pedal doesn´t work. Could you fix it? My answer is always: It works,
but you can´t hear anything!

In my opinion the left pedal in uprights  is just an an attempt to copy the
effect of the left pedal in grands. Obivously, it doesn´t work and won´t
ever work. The theory is: shorter way, lesser energy, quiet sound. In praxis
it means: shorter way, no idea as to energy, same sound. I work as
psychologist at the university in my hometown (making my PhD) and am toying
around with the idea to test that in a scientific way. But I have not the
technical possibillities to realize it. An idea could be to use Yamaha
discPiano and make subjects listen to the same song with and without soft
pedal and to compare the results. Anyway: the left pedal in uprights
produces no audible effect. Other opinions?

Gregor