rim separations & beam cracks

Absolute Piano absolutepiano at comcast.net
Sat Jan 13 19:23:22 MST 2007

Hi Pat,

Are you referring to the spaces between the laminations of the rim or
between the rim and soundboard? Obviously, the latter would be more of a
concern to me. As for the stansions or beams, on rare occasions one may find
splitting near the screws for the blocks that hold the nosebolts. This
should have been addressed when the old board was removed because it could
affect the plate assembly. I'm working on a Baldwin L right now with that
exact problem. These are just work case scenarios and it is possible that no
further harm will result but at least you've covered your tracks.

Best wishes,

Jude Reveley, RPT
Absolute Piano Restoration, LLC
Lowell, Massachusetts