false beats, real jazz and satisfaction

Jim Perkins jimperkins at optusnet.com.au
Sun Jan 14 21:37:27 MST 2007

Speaking as a pianist and piano teacher, whilst agreeing that the 'soft'
pedal on uprights doesn't come anywhere near the effect of that on
grands- where the special effect is largely due to a less used (softer)
portion of the hammer felt striking the string- as well as a reduced
number of unisons, I can't agree that it doesn't work at all. The
problem is that the pianist has to PLAY softly and that demands control
and practice on the part of the pianist.  The reduced travel of the
hammer assists soft playing by allowing more control over the hammer
swing.

When your customers say it doesn't work, tell them that they have to
master the technique of using it!

Jim Perkins