Key Cover Problem

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 15 20:48:09 MST 2007

Alan,
The spring should bear against the back/side of the key cover; the top part
if you're looking at it in the closed position.<G> The spring should follow
the arc of that part of the key cover, so it will be mounted on a slant.
The spring should start to interact with the key cover when it is raised
part way. I like to mount it so that the main part of the spring "hump" is
ON the key cover when the key cover is in the full UP position. Put a
little VJ lube where the spring tongue moves to prevent groans, etc. Oh,
screws at the bottom of the spring, just out of reach of the key cover.
It'll take a bit of "figgerin'", but it'll work real gud.<G> The spring
should be on the Bass end inside case wall like this: \ (only a bit steeper
to follow the "arc" of movement.) Some times, with a really tight fitting
key cover, you'll need to put a bit of a bevel on the backside of the key
cover where it contacts the spring.  K????<G> Oh, just merembered, if you
put the key cover in the half open postiion, you can reach in and make a
pencil mark for location. Also, put the pencil on the top/back of the key
cover and draw the arc as you close it. That'll give you an idea of the
actual movement of the key cover back part. Have fun.<G>
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I

exactly where and how to install it (yeah, yeah, I know, two little screws
...)