Tokiwa vs Renner underlever kits

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Mon Jan 15 21:12:27 MST 2007

Does anyone out there have recent comparative experience with BOTH the
Renner and Tokiwa damper back-action kits? I've installed several of the
Renner kits, but the quality of the pinning of this last one left a lot
to be desired. As you can see in the photo the post pinning was
substantially out of square. The flange pinning of this particular
underlever was also off, but in the opposite direction, which had the
effect of throwing the post even farther out of alignment. This was
probably the worst example in the set, but many others were off by
lesser amounts. I'm thinking that I might try the Tokiwa kit next time,
but I've had problems with seizing centers on other Tokiwa parts in the
past, and as a result I am reluctant to use them in general.

Renner has also switched from beech to Delignit  for the tray material,
so be careful if you're drilling for the flange screws using their
countersinking bit - I snapped one of the screws off due to the higher
density! Next time I'll ream the holes out a few thousandths more. The
other lesson that I learned on this one is to check the horizontal
clearance between the backside of the post and the upstop rail. Since
the new style sprung sostenuto tab flanges extend slightly behind the
post they were rubbing on this particular example, which I corrected by
making new pivot blocks with the hole located about 1/32" farther from
the belly rail.

- Mark Dierauf

.