Tokiwa vs Renner underlever kits

Mark Dierauf pianotech at nhpianos.com
Tue Jan 16 11:31:13 MST 2007

Thanks Dale, that background information from the factory is heartening
to hear. I think that I'll give the Tokiwa kit a shot for my next
install. I have otherwise found their repetitions to be not only of high
quality but also a better fit than the Renners. This current project has
Brooks' reps, shanks & flanges with which I am extremely happy.

I tried using a cardboard shim behind the pivot blocks, but the bass end
would have needed two shims, and I wasn't comfortable with that. Besides
I had already made a new set of blocks once for this job to allow for
improved geometry - using the old ones would have placed the pivot pins
too close to the upper edge of the new tray - so I was all set up for
turning out another block quickly.

- Mark Dierauf