troublesome upright damper pedal

Barbara Richmond piano57 at insightbb.com
Tue Jan 16 16:16:15 MST 2007

Hi all,

I originally got called in on this job, because the damper pedal wasn't working.  The screws to the pedal lever bracket were just about out of the bottom panel.  Then, I looked around and saw this not so ideal pedal set up.  I posted the 2006 picture last year.  This year I got called to regulate the piano and I included doing something about the troublesome damper pedal.

2006-:  The right pedal lifts two levers to operate damper rods.  Heavy, heavy pedaling!  Also the right pedal bracket screws had been replaced with 3" long bolts that made any adjusting almost impossible, not to mention getting in to tighten the nuts down.

2007-:  I removed the plate that coupled the right pedal to the middle (bass sustain).  Unfortunately, the lever wasn't long enough without the coupler plate, so I robbed the soft pedal lever, because it was the right length and used it for the right (full damper) pedal.  Later I used the original damper lever for the soft (left) pedal with an extension on it to make it long enough.  I opted to extend the soft pedal lever because it would get less use (I assume).

Still, there was the problem for the protruding bolts (sticking up 2 inches!).  I put the piano on its back and did a t-nut repair using 10-24 t-nuts--countersunk and 1" bolts with a locking washer.

With the protruding bolts out of the way, I was able to travel the pedal brackets to get them nicely spaced and tighten the bolts quite adequately.

I think the sustain pedal on this piano has been a problem since day one.  The choir director is delighted.  I'm not sure they even noticed the regulating and voicing I did, but they're happy!

Barbara Richmond, RPT
near Peoria, Illinois