Tuning Lever for a Beginner

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue Jan 16 22:24:12 MST 2007

> On the other hand, I made my own after a welder added some rod to the
> Schaff basic hex rod, have about $15 invested, and have had a number of
> folks say they really like the feel of the two which I always carry.
> les bartlett

That's the ticket. After a number of years with a nylon
handled non-extension Scaff lever, and another number of years
with a lovely laminated handle Hale extension lever, I made a
ball end lever with a 1.25" track ball purchased at a garage
sale for $0.50, and a 9" length of 7/16" stainless steel rod I
had salvaged from some long forgotten carcass, for possible
future use. Pedigree issues aside, it was a dramatic step up
in functionality for me. The price of a tuning hammer (lever,
for the annoyingly literal) has little to do with it's
suitability to your individual physiology and technique. It's
about subjective comfort and control, and you begin
calibration of same with the purchase or construction of your
first tool. So where do you want to start? If installments of
$200 or $350 a pop are comfortable for you, then go for the
offered high end commercial recommendations and worry about
what to do with the accumulated culls at tax time. Or purchase
a mid-priced functional hammer as a first step toward defining
what you will ultimately require, and reassess, with time and
use, from there. Mistakes are a given. The question is whether
to make moderate, or big ones - and how frequently.

Ron N