Steinway question

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Wed Jan 17 07:07:44 MST 2007

Phil
  All German Stwys I've seen have a rounded fallboard  & cheeks. Also they
all have spruce keys.  There is  no sugar pine in Europe. They also seem to
crown there ribs a small amount, even  as far back as 1905... or at least the ones
I'm familiar  with.
  Dale

How does  one tell if a Steinway is from Hamburg? A friend of mine, now
deceased,  always claimed his "B" was a Hamburg Steinway (Off of a cruise
ship).  His family is now having problems proving this to potential
buyers.  I've always heard that the Hamburgs had a button lid lock in
the side curve.  This one doesn't.  I've also heard that there  is a
different profile on the side of the keyboard.  Is this  true?  Can you
tell from the serial number (476778)?  Any other  differences?  I'd
appreciate your input.

Phil  Ryan