mystery buzz

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Jan 18 21:23:36 MST 2007

> Speaking of buzz's I had a loud one today in a Kimball console,  turned
> out to be several cracked "plastic" soundboard buttons.  Didn't even
> know there were plastic buttons. quite the "innovation" . Did kimball
> really think there was something wrong with the wood ones ? Or were they
> just trying to save the big bucks ?

I'm surprised you found a cracked one. I have a can full of
the big plastic buttons (maybe 50 or 60 of them), that I think
I acquired from an expired technician's estate sale or auction
long enough ago that I don't really remember. I use them when
I glue bridges to soundboards. Being plastic, they aren't
prone to splitting when I crank the screw down, and I replace
them with the wooden buttons after the glue has dried and I
don't have to apply enough screw pressure to risk breaking
them. I've used them over and over for more than 25 years, and
haven't managed to break but a couple.

Ron N